Monday, March 20, 2017

Strengths Based Teaching and Learning #IMMOOC Reflection Week 4

The idea of a strengths-based model really resonated with me this week.


"If we are going to empower our students, we must help them find what they love and create learning experiences that encourage them to develop their strengths"


So often we see teachers focused on working with students on what they are NOT good at.  But what if we focused MORE on what they ARE good at?  Or better yet, what if used their strengths to help strengthen those weaknesses? 

"We only get better when we find those who truly elevate us" 

Don't we want to be that teacher?  The one who elevates the students?  The one who motivates them to want to learn more, or do better?  I know I do.  My greatest joy in teaching comes from students who I have engaged in learning, and then empowered to look deeper into a subject they find interesting, or when I match a kid to the right book in the library.  These are the dream moments.

"Look for mentors who will push you to come up with better and brighter ideas"

When it comes to me, I am constantly looking to grow and learn.  Just as we look for our student's strengths, it is important to think about our own and follow leaders that celebrate these strengths and use them.  I have had the experience of both and I can tell you that mentors who push me to use my strengths, get the better me!  And in the end, my students get the best teacher I can be, and isn't that what it's all about?


No comments:

Post a Comment